Go to main navigation
200 S. Andrews Ave., Suite 100, Fort Lauderdale, Florida 33301
Call For a Consultation (954) 351-7474 (954) 351-7474

Fort Lauderdale Attorney Handles Child Custody and Child Support Modifications

Dedicated Florida lawyer helps parents modify arrangements that no longer work

At Gimble Law, P.A. in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, I understand that as your children grow, the parenting plan you and your ex-spouse are following may need to be updated to reflect their needs. I help parents throughout Broward and the surrounding counties modify their child custody and child support agreements either through mediation when both parties agree to the changes or in court when they do not. Whatever your circumstances, I can protect your best interests and your children’s as we pursue a modification that reflects the current situation.

Modifying time-sharing arrangements

Under Florida law, child custody and visitation arrangements are known as “time-sharing.” These arrangements for when the child is with which parent are included as a schedule in your parenting plan. It is important to note that the courts favor time-sharing arrangements that give the child ample time with both parents and that they are in agreement about, unless it is determined to be harmful to the child. Note, too, that there are different types of time-sharing—majority, equal and supervised. While the first two refer to whether one parent gets more time with the child or they both get equal time, supervised time-sharing is reserved for when there are safety concerns due to drugs, domestic violence, mental illness or another issue that necessitates a third party being present.

The process of modifying such an agreement is fairly straightforward and does not require court review and approval — if the parents are in agreement. But if you need to have your time-sharing arrangement modified and the other parent is not in agreement, I can help you show the court that there has been a substantial, material and unanticipated change of circumstances since the last custody order was entered and that the modification is in the best interests of your child. This is critical, because it is up to the judge what modifications, if any, will be allowed.

Modifying child support

Orders of support are based on Florida’s child support guidelines, which calculate the parents’ obligations in proportion to their net incomes, factoring in the amount of time the child spends with each parent. A parent may file for modification of child support when a substantial change in circumstances can be shown, such as a change in income for either parent or a change in how much time the child spends with one parent. If you are requesting the change, I can help you file a Supplemental Petition for Modification of Child Support with the court. Whether you are seeking a reduction or an increase in child support payments, I can help you navigate the Florida court system to petition for the result you require.

Contact an experienced Florida child custody attorney today

For child custody or child support modification matters in Broward or the neighboring counties, you can rely on Gimble Law, P.A. in Fort Lauderdale, Florida. Call Gimble Law at (954) 351-7474 or contact Gimble Law online.